Thursday, August 13, 2009

Gorilla Glue

It's been nearly three weeks and I am still trying to get Gorilla Glue off of my fingernails. I was working on making a cat tree out of an old ladder by wrapping it in jute rope. The last one I made this way was/is very popular with the cats. I only nailed the ends of the rope down so as they scratch and climb on it the rope has stretched and sagged. So this time I am using Gorilla Glue to keep the rope in place. I didn't realize how messy I was or how strong the glue is until I tried to clean up. Both hands were nearly covered in glue and there were drips on my arms and legs. After it is dried, and since I had been working for quite a while and using a fan to keep cool, it was very dried by the time I quit, it is nearly impossible to get off. I tried alcohol, acetone, paint thinner, almost anything under the kitchen sink. Nothing worked. But I did get very dry skin! Even they admit (brag?) on their website that it is very hard to remove and say it is even resistant to sanding. I spent days picking at the glue and it slowly came off my skin revealing nice fresh skin underneath. I had to cut my fingernails all the way down because the buildup of glue under them was driving me crazy. By today I have removed almost all of it from my fingernails except for a small bit on one thumb that just won't release. Now if Gorilla Glue would only get together with a nail polish company they would have a hit on their hands!

No comments: